D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Writing and rewriting

     First, a correction.  A couple of weeks back, I referenced Foundation, and mistakenly assigned that work to Arthur C Clarke, author of 2001 and many others.  It was Isaac Asimov who wrote Foundation and the books that followed.  Now I'm going to have to go back and reread it (not that that's any real form of punishment)

     It's been almost 2 weeks without a headache. Man, what I'd been missing the last 5 months.

     I've done a little work on Imperfect Hope, added a couple thousand words, though I'm not happy with what I'd done over the weekend.  My inner critic is snarling at me, in part because I picked up where I had left off, rusty and a bit off rhythm, so the writing sounds stilted.  I'm fighting the urge to redo it.  One way I'm considering ignoring the inner critic is to jump ahead to a new chapter, then go back when I'm feeling more in tune with the mood of the writing.  I'll let you know how it goes.

       I"ve resigned myself to the fact that I'm writing the middle part of a lengthy novel that will probably be broken into 3 parts, and that I'd started at part two.  Part one, as I'd mentioned in the past, would introduce the main characters as individuals, then show their paths converging as they got to know each other.  I've some rough ideas for the plot of part one, and I may jot down some more specific notes/outlines as I grind through Imperfect hope, but I don't want to sidetrack myself just yet.  However, depending on how the part one shapes up, Imperfect hope will likely need a good deal of rewriting to bring it inline with what I come up with in part one.  I still intend to finish the first draft of IH before I jump to any other projects, though.  I hope...

Anyway, more to come as I get back into the writing swing of things.

TTFN,   Jim


No comments: