D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Monday, May 11, 2009

Somebody shoot that inner critic...

     My inner critic really laid into me this week, from "this is going too slowly", to "you started in the wrong place, now everything will have to be rewritten when you start at the right place".  I did manage to silence the chorus of "the plot is going nowhere".  I am having a near crisis over the starting in the wrong place, at times I've almost agreed with IC to stop work on Imperfect Hope and start from the beginning.  But...  What is holding me to my original plan is the fact that, dammit, I need to finish the first draft!  Come on, Jim, keep grinding...

     Because of the inner battles, I got little done on word count, though I did flesh out a bit more detail in my notes on where the story goes, both to the ending I'd originally plotted for IH, and through a good portion of what now appears to be part three of the series.  I also pondered some ideas for part one, though nothing seemed to come together yet.  I am going to let my muse wander around that forest, though, see if it can find any magic mushrooms...  ;-)

     While muse was wandering last week, it did unearth another plotline that begs to be written about.  The early empire, centuries before the Sha'te days, faced a long war of unification.  I envision something a bit like the shogunate period in Japan, with an inner conflict over the future of the empire waged between the powerful warlords and the educated scholars, each with their own agenda.  It would seem most logical that the powerful would win, but I've an idea, a larger than life scholar who manipulates politics and religion to build his powerbase such that he rivals the warlords in strength.  I envision this scholar, whether victorious in the end or not, becomes directly responsible for the shape of the coming empire, even though he struggles to prevent its foundation.  For now, this tale goes on a back burner, along with a dozen or so other ideas.

     At any rate, I'm battling inner critic tonight after work.  Round 7...  Wish me luck...

TTFN,
Jim


1 comment:

AML said...

Bang. Go away, IC. Let the nice author work in peace!