D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Eye see you...

     Are you sick of the puns yet?  I promise, no more eye puns.  I'm back, though, and the eye surgery went well.  My left eye now sees better than it has since I was about 7 or so, when I first started wearing glasses.  Right eye still gets to wear a contact, and reading glasses are still needed, but...  It's nice to see again, and nice to not have the headache that has plagued me for the last 5 months. 

     The eye surgery was...  Interesting.  I spent nearly two hours in prep, getting an antibiotic/numbing eye ointment that was like apple jelly applied twice, and then, just before the surgery, a intravenous injection of something the anesthesia doc called "Don't give a damn juice".  I was conscious and aware during the surgery, they draped my face and other eye, so I didn't see anything except the incredibly bright light they shined in my eye.  There was some pain (or pressure that I interpreted as pain) a couple of times, and there was a distinctively odd feeling when they inserted the new lens.  The best way I can describe it is to imagine taking a thick skinned grape and poke it with the blunt end of a toothpick.  "Pop", more of a feeling than a sound, when the toothpick breaks the skin.  I still shudder at the image, but at the time, I "didn't give a damn"...

     I'll be taking eye drops for the next three weeks to promote healing and prevent inflammation.  Oddest thing now is wearing only one contact.  At night, when I take it out, I can still see, even though it's only one eye, the good one overrides the bad one.  This night time vision is something I haven't had for... (counting fingers and toes and...  Damn, out of digits).  More than 40 years.  So that's what that bumping noise in the dark was...;-)

     Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers, I was grateful for the notes and such.  So now, it's back to work, and...  Back to Imperfect Hope.  I've got some great plans now... 



No comments: