D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Round 1--- Jim 2, Inner Critic 1

     Round one of the bout:  I think I'm ahead.  I ceded the first minute of the round to IC, and let him convince me that a large section of stuff I'd written from november thru march really didn't fit, style wise.  It was stilted, disjointed, and just didn't feel right.  Inner critic moved it to the dump file (after saving part in a notes file for future reference).  So, word count has dropped to a little more than 64000.  One point for IC.

     However, while IC was gloating over his early victory in the round, I sneaked out on a break at work, leaving him in the control room grousing over the weather while I jumped back in on where I'd left off, some dialogue between Cerryn (one of our heroes...) and the unbeknownst to her villains, Min and his stooge (and presumed boss), the march warden of the western confederacy.  For once, the dialogue flowed smoothly.  In my half hour break, I churned out nearly 500 new words, and rebuilt some badly needed confidence.  More importantly, it felt good.  One point for me, and a bonus point because...  I'm looking forward to continuing tonight at home.  Total, 2 for me...

     During my writing session on a break at work, I noticed that my mood seemed lightened from previous attempts to write at work.  I've a strong suspicion that the headaches that I'd dealt with since late october last year, the ones caused by my vision issues and that I just accepted as part of  dealing with work (or just getting old), has had a huge impact on my desire and ability to write.  Because the headaches were almost always low grade, I'd assumed I could just ignore it.  Coworkers and family, however, have commented that I'd been rather...  Grumpy through the winter.  Yeesh, I never knew. 

     I thought I was normal...  ;-)

Jim

    

No comments: