D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

excerpt, and a return to writing


     "Well danced, Questor".  Nunners was tired, his breath came heavily, but he kept up his defensive stance.  In front of them, the raiders regrouped, fresh swordsmen came to the front.

     "We've done what we could, serjent."  Cerryn glanced back at Randir again, his eyes were still closed, breathing shallowly.  "If you'll gather Randir and your trainees, pull back.  I'll hold them long enough for you and your men to escape."

    Before the serjent could reply, a bell began ringing at the land side of the causeway, followed by the clatter of dozens of boots.  "Sounds like the major's arrived with help, guess I'll stick around to see the end, now."  Nunners face held a wide grin.


     I wrote the above passage last year, it's near the end of a crux scene where Randir, Cerryn, and some militia help hold out against some raiders.  It was near the end of my productive time last year, when I still seemed to have some energy, despite the chaos of the times.  Much of what followed are some of my favorite scenes, from the end of the causeway battle, to the recovery scenes at the militia outpost afterwards.  Action, dialogue, and emotion.  It came together.

     That's not to say that what came before will all be tossed out, there are some good scenes, and most of what I wrote prior to the causeway scene is story critical.  I just seemed to hit my stride with that point, a stride that I hope to pick up again with the same fervor I had earlier.

     I actually managed to get in some good time on a break at work today, though I"ll admit that switching from ATC-Brain to Writer-Brain was wrenching.  I've said it before, 20 minutes isn't enough time to be productive.  Here at home, I can find more time, but finding the muse when I"m worn from atc is another story.  Anyway, I'm back on the tracks, just have to get that boiler going.....

     I'm working on picking up where I left off, specifically, when Cerryn awakes the next day.  Randir is still a mess (shadow magic is a real pain...), and the local surgeon, though skilled, is at a loss as to how to treat him.  Cerryn will have to make a decision, go after the traitor with the shadow knife, or find a way to help her "Cha'kel".

More to come...

Clear skies,
Jim


No comments: