D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Monday, January 5, 2009

New Year, New Hope

As always seems to be the case, the end of one year and the beginning of another tends to bring chaos into our lives. Nothing more than the usual holiday madness and holiday air traffic, loads of private jets heading to aspen and eagle airports for the holiday ski season. The ski country airports continue to run wild, but the holiday stuff has subsided...

With the new year, I've always had a tendency to look back, not just at the last year, but the many years past. There are always regrets, mostly the people I've lost touch with, or haven't talked with or written to for far too many months. Maybe I'll write about that, either fictionally, or memoir-style. But enough of that for now...

Imperfect Hope is sitting at the 66k word level. Mel White suggested that many first novels end up being around that level, but for the storyline I've plotted out, I've another 60-75k words to go, at least in rough first draft. From past experience, I know I'll knock off about 30% of my wordcount during my first rewrite. This is based on when I've rewritten short segments, though, never a full length novel, so I'm not certain that pattern will hold. I already have spotted portions that I want to expand upon. Am I writing a trilogy? That's one of the areas I'm exploring as I work on Imperfect Hope. If so, this is the middle of three.

Next time I write, I hope to blurb a new segment from Imperfect Hope. Let me know what you want to read about, in the mean time...

Clear skies,
Jim

No comments: