D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Beginnings

The start of any story, whether it is short or long, has to grab the readers attention. This is especially true with new writers. Old hats at the game have name recognition, I've been known to grind through a marginal beginning based only on the fact that the writers work is known to me. There is the hope that it will improve, whereas in the case of an unproven author, there is no track record on which to base that hope.

When I started Imperfect Hope, I started with an opening scene even before I had a full plot, something that I felt would grab a reader and make him want to continue. Enticing though it was, something that I read in one of Orson Scott Card's writing books pointed out that putting a character in a dire situation before the reader has a chance to care about the protagonist is dangerous. Originally, I'd thought to start in the middle of the story, describe Redwynn's dire straits, then jump back in time to describe how she'd gotten there, and end the book with the solution. There are times when I still thing it will work, but for now, I'm keeping my time line sequential. I can always rearrange it later, I suppose.

At anyrate, I'm jumping back into the story both feet first. If you hear an unpleasant crunching sound, that's just me grinding away at the tale. Writing exercises and blogging will be my stretching, and my cool downs for this exercise. Watch out...

Clear skies,
Jim

No comments: