D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Saturday, August 4, 2007

Writing Exercise

I think that sometimes it is a good thing to step away from the ongoing project and let my mind work on other subjects. A writing exercise in one way, write on something unrelated to what I've been grinding away at for the last few days. And grind it has seemed, for a few days, I was stuck on how unpolished my work seemed, I wrote and rewrote the same scene (#2) 3 times this week, and still wasn't satisfied. However, I went back through some notes I"d written over the winter, and reminded myself that I need to turn off the inner critic while writing a first draft. So... I got to it tonight, and put 1k words down, finished the second scene and started the third. Once I got going, it went smoothly.

So on to the "step-away". A writing exercise. Tomorrow, I'm going to write about something different. Practice, if you will. I'll combine elements into a scene unrelated to Imperfect Hope. In the back of my mind, a part of me realizes that it may end up in a tale somewhere, that's kind of how Imperfect Hope started, with a scene written for practice.

What do I want to do? I feel like I need to work on scene setting, as well as characterization. So my little tale will start with three elements and a setting, far different from the northern winterland I'm writing about in Imperfect hope. Then, if it feels right, I'll add a character. What will happen.....

TTFN,
Jim

No comments: