D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Thursday

Writing is a job. All I have to do is show up for work and do it. Never mind that I may have to wait years for the paycheck. Heh.

Sounds cynical. Sounds too simple. Sounds... Like real life. If all I'm doing is chasing the paycheck, though, why should I change careers. Because it's something I enjoy doing. As opposed to the FAA, which grows onerous at times. Don't get me wrong, most of the time I enjoy my job. I even like a few of the people I work with. Unfortunately, there are quite a few emotional vampires there, people who whine and complain, those who feel the best way to show themselves as great controllers is to show up others, those who put down others who do things correctly. But.... They're in every field, so. Stop whining, Jim.

Writing. The image is that of the solitary type, hunched over the typewriter (keyboard), cigarette in one hand, scotch on the desk in front of him. Exploding into action when something hits him, staring mindlessly at the work most of the rest of the time. Ssshhh. Don't bother the writer, he's busy. Be very very quiet.....

It doesn't work that way for me. For one, the act of trying to be quiet actually draws my attention more than just being around me. I guess a part of me senses someone trying to be "sneaky", and wonders, Why? That pulls me away from what I'm working on. And, I don't smoke, and I won't touch a drink while I'm working, I do admit to keeping my owl mug at my side, filled with ice water or sometimes tea. I do occasionally explode into action, but usually I just grind away. Typing, reading, retyping. Turn to my notes, dig up something... Etc. When I do get into the zone, it may take a small riot to get my attention.

Writing practice... My 2 paragraph exercise over the weekend came out interesting. Non-sci-fi or fantasy genre, it feels more like the opening scene of a spy novel or mystery. More polish down the road.....

Clear skies.

Jim

No comments: