D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Another fine mess...

Time to write. I'm learning that one of the challenges of writing is changing my brain from my work mode, heavy right brain (calculations and speed estimates and climb rates and angles) to writing mode (heavy left brain, creative and free flowing). Music helps. So does, apparently, drawing, though it has been years since I've drawn freely. One idea is to work on the map of the world.

Tonight, it's music. I'm listening to a web-radio station, Whisperings, at Solopianoradio.com. It all solo piano, all the time. no lyrics to muck up my train of thought, no jarring commercials, and relaxing. There are times when I want something more energetic, but tonight, this is perfect.

So what will I be writing? Grinding through Imperfect hope, trying to get the protagonist characterizations right in their introductory scene. Finding a balance of description and dialogue will be my challenge tonight. I'll let you know.....

Oh, the tip of the day: Recognize the talent within me, and don't listen to that inner critic, at least not during the first draft. There'll be time enough to self-criticism during the revision phase.

Clear skies,
Jim

No comments: