D'oril. Beginning the Journey

D'oril.  Beginning the Journey

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Vacation time

Our long anticipated vacation begins this saturday, Irma and I are disappearing for 2 1/2 weeks. We're going back to Kauai, long our favorite place to decompress, specifically the Outrigger Kiahuna Plantation in Poipu Beach. I came to realize this week how fatigued I am from the last few months of work madness. We both need this break.

I am not planning to write while I"m on vacation. I might post a note or two on the blog, but I won't promise anything. If you'd read my observations two years ago when we last visited Kauai, you'd notice that we didn't schedule anything. Our day consisted of getting up and having coffee and breakfast on the lanai of our condo, listening to the zebra doves and other tropical birds chirping away. Between the scent of the flowers, and the fresh coffee, it sets a relaxing pace. We'll probably do some hiking, we might go on a day sail, and we'll consider a luau at the kilohana plantation. There's the Kauai Coffee Company, largest coffee plantation in the US, and several botanical gardens in the area that have short hiking trails through their gardens, from manicured to wild.

Kauai island has fewer than 80,000 residents on the whole island. If you're looking for nightlife, or crowded beaches, or exciting touristy things to to, you'll be disappointed. We're not looking for the excitement of an all inclusive resort. And we won't be disappointed, this is our 4th trip to Poipu.

I've a couple of links to share. The first leads to the kauai sheraton, the hotel adjacent to the Kiahuna Plantation. Their web cam overlooks the kiahuna plantation's beaches, we'll be there off and on throughout the trip. I'll wave, just in case anyone's watching. The other links are to the Kauai Coffee Company, easily the best coffee I've had (probably because we can buy it so fresh, it's still steaming from the roasters), and a few of the places we may visit, including the lighthouse that has contributed to my story idea, Lighthouse.

http://www.seehawaiilive.com/skr-cam.cfm is the live webcam that overlooks the beach
http://www.kauaicoffee.com/ where we'll buy our coffee.
http://www.hawaiiweb.com/Kauai/html/sites/Kilauea_lighthouse.html The lighthouse that inspired a big part of my story concept, Lighthouse.

I won't promise I'm going to post over the next two and a half weeks. I'm going into full rehab mode, hoping to return fresh and ready to grind it out again at the FAA, and perhaps my attitude toward IH will be freshened as well.

Clear skies, all,
Jim


No comments: